Monday, December 8, 2008

Combat Lifesaver

I am the newest addition to the 211th MPAD. I have only been here a week, so I'm trying to catch up with the rest of the 211th's training. Even though I'm new here, I already feel at home thanks to the warm welcome I received from the entire chain of command and the Soldiers here. After 8 days, I feel like I've always been a part of the 211th.

Yesterday, we completed our Combat Lifesaver course. They saved the worst for last-administering a catheter and IV to a living Soldier. I share SSgt. Ford's fear of needles and have been known to pass out at the sight of blood, or after receiving shots. (I've done this three different times in my life.) But anyway, like 1st Sgt. Martinez said, Soldiering is "about facing fears." Fortunately, I was able to stick a needle in my class partner, SFC Burke's arms, with ease and administer the IV without letting out too much blood. I think reading the steps to administering a saline lock in our manual over and over again really helped when we had to do the real thing. And I never once felt queasy.

1 comment:

1SG Martinez said...

Congratulations SPC Soles! If you can trust SFC Burke to stick a needle in your arm, the rest of the deployment will be a piece of cake.

We're glad to have you on board with us and I look forward to having you share you experiences with us.